Educators contribute to the profession.

The way that I worked towards contributing to the profession was through the creation of a proficiency sequence on a Professional Development Day with my coaching teacher and another collogue (whose names I’m leaving off – consent pending).

In our professional development day, we watched a presentation by Shannon Shinkel on the use of proficiency sequences.

A proficiency sequences allow us a way to scaffold the teaching of the curricular competencies, and holistically asses them as well.

In our team, we looked at the processing and analyzing competency for science 9-12, and created our own proficiency sequence. In general, we were able to group the sub-competencies into three general categories: Looking for the pattern, determine what that pattern can tell you, and creating a concluding statement.

Afterwards, we scaffolded the skills required to go from a pre-emerging skill to an extending skill.

Processing and analyzingFirst… what I NEED to doThen … what I MUST doAfter that .. this is what I CAN  doNext this is what I COULD doFinally, this is what I can TRY to do
Patterns/trends and world views     (Look for a pattern)I can know that I should be looking for a pattern.I can look for a pattern. I can look for patterns through different world views. (Off topic patterns may lead to other questions, but might not be matching the current hypothesis)I can look for a pattern that matches the hypothesis. I can look for pattern through different world views.I can decern what data should be included in the pattern. I can compare patterns between different worlds views Ie) excluding outliers. .I can decern very subtle, or sophisticated, or less obvious patterns with loose connections. I can see connections between patterns.  
Sense making of evidence, Data driven proof     (This pattern may tell us something)I know that the pattern that was being examined can convey information. I can see that patterns convey information.I can use graphs, models, or pictures to process data to look for proof of details or patterns.  I can use graphs, models, or pictures to process data to look for proof of details or patterns that aligns with the original hypothesis.  I can select and discern the best graph, model, or picture or combination to best support the data according to the hypothesis.    Supporting pattern one way of showing your data with another layer of information.  I can select and discern the best graph, model, or picture or combination to best support represent the data according to the hypothesis.   Comparing data to other variables.   Multiple evidences for the same conclusion.  
Conclusion, summary statement Cause and effect   (Put that something into a statement)I can make a statement based on the pattern. I know I need to put the information conveyed in the pattern into a statement.I can make a statement that includes inferences from the data.I can make a statement relative to support or refute hypothesis.  I can make a statement with relevant data to support of data that allows me to support or refute hypothesis.I can make a statement with support of data that allows me to support or refute my hypothesis allowing me to conclude a cause-and-effect relationship.   I can consider alternative explanations or data, or variables in relationship to the experiment.   I can support my conclusion with research.