In this assignment, we were tasked with the goal of creating an inclusive lesson plan created an equitable learning environment for student with either dyslexia, dysgraphia, or dyscalculia. Personally, I had chosen to create a lesson plan for Chemistry 11 (which I had taught in my previous practicum) and implemented adaptations for a student with dyslexia. This lesson plan is attached above, in a PDF format.

The main way that I worked towards creating an inclusive lesson was through the classroom dynamics, technology, and pacing of the class.

• Classroom dynamics
    • I made sure that the classroom would be a safe learning place for all students.
      • Equity: Ensuring the understanding of equity where all students are going to get what they need to be successful, and this may no look the same for every student.
      • Respect: In this classroom rules are enforced about being respectful, patient, and quiet when anyone else is talking. This means not interrupting.  It also means being supportive of others for trying their bests. I have created this classroom as a safe space for students with any learning disabilities to participate and not be afraid of being judged or made fun of.
  • Adaptations
    • I think that including adaptations can be done seamlessly in a classroom, and benefit more than just the students with a IEP.
    • In this case, the adaptations that I use was the implementation of graphic organizers and short summary of specific topics or learning goals.
    • There was also adapted amount of work because students with dyslexia require more time. So, assigned work was presented in a list of must be completed, should be completed and extension questions. This way, there was no obvious exception and gave students the choice in what they wanted to accomplish.
    • However, this student was also given a filled in version of the note packages, and extra time on assignments and tests, which was not available to all students.
  • Technology
    • There were a variety of technological resources that would have been used in an ideal world. But these really depend on what is available in the school.
      • Audio recorded lectures, speech to text / scribe for assignments, spell check, and reading uploaded into Kurzweil.

Overall, I think that being an inclusive teacher requires more attention, dedication, and just more effort into our teaching practice to create learning experiences and supports that allows all students to enter the same learning. In addition, I think that this work is essential to giving each student the opportunity to feel important enough to deserve that effort.